Wednesday, December 17, 2008

New Painting Projects

I’ll admit I have a bad habit of always starting new projects before I get the old ones done. As it is, my worktable is covered with half-finished models, some of them with barely a basecoat, others a few minutes away from completion. I’m just very bad at staying focused on the things I have already started.

I thought I would describe a technique I started using recently. I used to basically do the basecoats, or at least for the dominant color, and then do a wash to create shadowed areas and make the detail “pop” a bit more. I would then do progressive highlights and finish with the smaller details, with last minute edge highlights on the appropriate areas.


This time, I applied an initial very diluted basecoat, thicker than a wash, but still being sure to have a fairly high level of transparency. Here I used Citadel’s Graveyard Earth. As it dries, it pools in the model’s recesses, it creates shadows and accentuates the perspective. The more elevated areas are left with the white primer showing through, but at this stage there is no need to cover the surface thoroughly.




The next step, after the first colour is completely dry, is to start applying the model’s true base colour. In this case, I am using Reaper Master Series’ Desert Khaki. I leave the shadowed or depressed area clear. If I was in a hurry, I could just dry brush the model at this point and I would still get a fairly decent result. But I’m in no hurry, so I’m taking my time with this one.



Here, you can see two Basilisks I have started using the same technique. Later highlights will accentuate the roundness of the head and legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment